Digital Currency and Blockchain Weekly Round-Up – September 13th, 2019
France mulls blocking Facebook’s Libra project on European soil as FINMA chief weighs pros and cons of the cryptocurrency
France warned on Thursday that it will block the development of Facebook’s cryptocurrency Libra as it is posing a threat to the “monetary sovereignty” of governments. “I want to be absolutely clear: in these conditions, we cannot authorize the development of Libra on European soil,” French finance minister Bruno Le Maire said. Meanwhile, Mark Branson, the director of the Financial Market Authority (FINMA), has spoken out on the perceived pressure of Libra being based in Geneva and the potential opportunities the cryptocurrency tech brings.
Catalan government to develop DLT-based self-sovereign digital ID platform
The government of Catalonia has launched a new project to create decentralised and self-sovereign digital identity based on distributed ledger technology (DLT). According to a press release dated September 07, the minister of Digital Policy and Public Administration, Jordi Puigneró, has presented the ‘IdentiCAT’ project.
Saudi Arabia, UAE to finalize pilot operations for joint cryptocurrency project by year-end
Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates are going to finalize the pilot operations of their digital currency project for facilitating cross-border bank transactions by the end of this year, Argaam reported citing Arabic language daily Aleqtisadia. The pilot operations are expected to focus on the technical aspects, while legal and economic aspects will be examined at a later stage.
Marshall Islands to launch a pre-sale for its blockchain-based national cryptocurrency
The Republic of Marshall Islands (RMI) has announced that it will introduce its government-backed blockchain-based cryptocurrency, the Marshallese sovereign (SOV), in a token pre-sale. “The currency will be introduced through a sale over an extended period of time in a Timed Release Monetary Issuance (TRMI),” the RMI said in an official announcement.
Venezuelan government launches crypto calculator for Android devices
The Superintendent of Cryptoactive and related activities of Venezuela (SUNACRIP) has launched an application that allows users to convert crypto-crypto, crypto-fiat and fiat-crypto values, according to state-run VTV. Called “Petro Calculadora,” the app is currently available only for Android devices and can be downloaded from petro’s official portal.
- DTCC, Accenture release enterprise DLT governance whitepaper
- United Kingdom leads with most number of registered cryptocurrency exchanges: Study
- 40% of U.S. Millennials prefer crypto investments in the event of a recession: eToro Survey
- Moody’s expects blockchain standards to emerge by 2021
- Coinbase, Ripple fail to secure spots in LinkedIn’s top startups list for 2019
- Cryptokitties maker Dapper Labs secures $11.2M to develop blockchain Flow, scores deals from Warner Music, Ubisoft
- Blockchain startup Dapp.com raises $1M in pre-A investment led by Hashed
- Blockchain startup DappRadar secures $2.3M from Naspers Ventures, Blockchain.com Ventures
- Crypto data provider Kaiko bags $5.5M from Anthemis Group, Point Nine Capital
- Social video platform Vid secures investment from blockchain platform Ontology
- Blockstack scores $23M in first-ever SEC-approved token sale
- Vlad Zamfir-led blockchain project CasperLabs secures $14.5M from Acuitas, Arrington XRP for scaling development
- U.K.-based hedge fund manager Nickel Asset Management raises $50M for a crypto investment fund
- Coinbase launches ‘USDC Bootstrap Fund’ to invest in DeFi protocols Compound, dYdX
- Gemini launches own custody service with 18 cryptocurrencies
- Legacy Trust to launch separate crypto custody business First Digital Trust
- Crypto exchange Huobi likely to attempt backdoor IPO in Hong Kong
- Seychelles’ national stock exchange MERJ’s tokenized IPO goes live
- Binance US to open user registration next week
- Bobby Lee unveils new crypto hardware wallet venture ‘Ballet’
- Bitwise appoints BNY Mellon as transfer agent for proposed bitcoin ETF
- ICE announces initial margin requirements for Bakkt bitcoin futures contracts
Digital Currency Initiatives
- NASDAQ lists decentralized finance index Defix (DEFX) for digital assets
- CipherTrace unveils open source solution for crypto Travel Rule compliance ‘TRISA’
- Netki updates TransactID solution to ensure compliance with FATF’s crypto “Travel Rule”
- Wesley Snipes, Liechtenstein Cryptoassets Exchange to launch tokenized $25M movie fund
- Seed CX’ subsidiary Zero Hash launches crypto derivatives settlement support for institutions
- CoinGecko releases ‘Trust Score 2.0’ system to provide 360-degree view of cryptocurrency exchanges
<Copyright © TokenPost. All Rights Reserved. >